Friday, April 03, 2009

Lying Lewis or Holy Hamilton?

The fallout from the Australian Grand Prix continues despite the second round of the World Championship being well under way.

Kimi Raikkonen set the fastest time in Friday practice but he is far from the headlines as more information is slowly revealed over the FIA's decision to disqualify Lewis Hamilton from the Melbourne race.

I fear this may well be another F1 scandal that us the fans will never know the truth of, as it's clear the press aren't even sure what is going on. The BBC report that 'Hamilton insists he is not a liar' and the whole report seems to show Hamilton has come out fighting in the wake of this latest scandal. However the headline on the official Formula1.com website reads 'Hamilton apologises for Melbourne mistake'.

So which is it? Hands up or gloves off?

Either way both stories confirm Lewis claims that he was told to 'withhold information' from the stewards by sporting director Dave Ryan, a man who is now suspended and facing the sack. The British World Champion insists that he is not a liar or a dishonest person. But unfortunately that would also prove to be untrue.

He told stewards in Australia he was not instructed by his team to allow Jarno Trulli to pass him, however radio transmissions have proven he had. Hamilton now claims he is sorry to his fans and the stewards for misleading them but still seems to believe he is not to blame.

"I want to say sorry to all my fans. I am not a liar or a dishonest person, I am a team player. If the team ask me to do something, I generally do it. This is not an easy thing to do, to step back and realise I was in the wrong. But I was in the wrong, I was misled."


Seemingly a good apology, until the last three words. Quickly and quietly taking the plaudits for honesty, then shoveling the responsibility onto someone else.


"I was misled." Maybe, but you knew the team's aim was extra points, and you knew it was wrong.


Time to accept responsibility for your actions Lewis, or this could be a very tough season.

No comments:

Post a Comment